I don’t often post tips because generally i should imagine most guys would read them and think “who does he think he is handy Andy?”
Well here is my method of scribing flooring around curves and irregular shapes.
1. Cut off a length of underlay to the same dimensions as the flooring panel you require to be scribed. Template created.
2. Lay the template in the space where the flooring panel will go ensuring the square edges are tight against the adjacent flooring you’ve laid.
3. Pushing the template tight against the curve or shape you are scribing. Run a Stanley knife in the crease created giving you the perfect template ready to transfer to the floor panel.
4. Lay the template on the floor panel to be cut, ensuring the square edges are aligned. Draw around the template marking the floor panel ready for cutting.
5. Cut and fit your perfect panel.
Im sure you’ve all got your own ways, but for me personally this is the quickest and most perfect way of creating the exact profile you need.
Pictures are in order of process the above. Let me know what your methods are 👍🏻
#carpentry #carpenter #finishcarpentry #trimcarpentry #trimcarpenter #joinery #joiner #builder #buildinb #loftconversion #somethingdifferent #finish #doingsomethingdifferent #flooring #luxaryvinyl #quickstep #tips #scribing #floorlayer #carpentrytips #bbd #horsesforcourses
There’s nothing quite like that first cut with your new toy 🙌 What tools have you been working with lately? Try out our Circular Saw on your next project.
...how the sausage is made. Because of the sag in the ceiling, the reveal on the frieze (the flat surface under the crown) is 1 13/16” at the outside wall and 1 1/8” about 6’ away. Cabinets are level. On July 20rd I mentioned how the baseboard trim on a kitchen island can be affected by the shrinkage of a girder built of 2x. That effect is less easily masked when new cabinet crown is installed against a ceiling that is not level. Leveling a ceiling before sheetrock not only makes the crown look nicer, it simplifies the crown installation significantly. The joints to the right of the valance fought me valiantly. Smaller molding (and/or a larger frieze) hides these discrepancies a little better. Plus 4” crown did not want to be bent around the hump in the ceiling. While I will scribe some of these types of problems occasionally, it wasn’t really suitable in this instance. I don’t like cutting too far into a smaller top profile of crown when ceilings get really gnarly. Visually, I’d rather add a little bit than subtract. So, caulk. 🤷🏻♀️ .
#carpentry #trim #crownmolding #crown #moulding #ceiling #cabinet #kitchen #kitchendesign #kitchendesigner #design #designer #architect #architecture #build #construction #carpentrytips #finishcarpentry #strapping #kitcheninstallation #kitcheninstaller #cabinetry #sausage #bumpy
Lets FACE it...woodworking is pretty FAceINATING 🙌